Q. We have a group project to work on. Is there somewhere in the library where we can work on our project without disturbing other people?
The libraries have designated group study rooms available. The libraries have the following policies pertaining to the rooms as well as equipment/technology available:
- There are five group study rooms available for JCC students only.
- The group study rooms are for groups of two or more JCC students.
- The rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. The room may not be reserved ahead of time.
- The rooms are kept locked when unoccupied. A student from the group must sign up for a room at the Circulation Desk. The library staff will give the group a copy of the Group Study Room Policy to read and will unlock the room.
- When the group is finished using the room, the student who initially signed in for the room must return any borrowed supplies to the Circulation Desk and notify the Circulation Desk that they are finished with the room. A library staff member will then verify that the room was left in acceptable condition and relock the room.
- Each room is equipped with a networked PC and a whiteboard.
- Wireless Internet is available in all rooms.
- Additional supplies available for loan: dry erase markers, webcam, microphone, dry erase markers and eraser, stapler, and scissors
- Three of the rooms have large screen LED TVs
- Two of the rooms have DVD/VHS players
- A group study room can be used for a maximum of 2 hours.
- The room will be monitored by library staff. Any inappropriate behavior or misconduct will result in loss of group study room privileges. Please see the section below for guidelines of appropriate group study room behavior.
- The group study rooms will be locked 15 minutes before closing.
- The group study rooms are intended for quiet group study projects.
- The library is not responsible for lost/stolen items.
Group Study Room Conduct
- The noise level must be kept low at all times. The study rooms are not sound-proof.
- Lights must be kept on when rooms are in use.
- Students using the group study rooms must abide by the library’s food, drink, and tobacco policies. Violators will be asked to vacate the room.
- The group study rooms must be left clean and in order with all the trash placed in wastebaskets. Students using the rooms will be responsible for any damage to the room during their stay.
Cattaraugus Campus Library:
- There are three group study rooms available for JCC students, Empire State students, and the public.
- Two group study rooms are equipped with a table, chairs, a computer, and a whiteboard while the third room has a table, chairs, and a TV with a DVD/VCR player.
- Anyone wishing to use a group study room must sign up at the Circulation Desk.
A printable copy of the Cattaraugus Campus Library group study room policy is available below.